Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Phlegm
We normally incur common colds, and phlegm is the uninvited but usually present guest that trudges along as well. Although apparently phlegm might not appear to be a very potent problem, yet if not treated on time it can grow worse and ultimately obstruct your bronchial tubes by clogging them. As a consequence, you might up with a very serious infection of your upper respiratory tract. There are various symptoms which can give you a hint of phlegm’s presence such as a consistent cough, a dripping nose, difficulty in appropriate breathing and the constant urge to clear your throat again and again. What happens is that phlegm accumulates in your chest and congests it. Owing to this constricted feeling in your chest, you feel the need to expel this phlegm by coughing it out.
Dealing with this irritating congestion which is the corollary of phlegm can be very frustrating. Phlegm itself can turn out to be extremely aggravating, yet fortunately there are a number of home remedies out there to treat this condition, some of which have been elaborated below.
1. The Intake of Steam
The very first and most common yet the most effective remedy is the intake of steam. Steam liquiditify phlegm and as a direct corollary its expulsion from your system becomes positively easy.
- Taking a steam shower daily can help immensely. Just turn your shower to full heat and in this temperature stay enclosed within your shower for five to ten minutes. The generated steam would in turn break up the mucus which congests your throat and chest.
2. All-Purpose Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice is rich in Vitamin C which can help you to get rid of mucus and phlegm satisfactorily.
- Take a glass of hot water and add some lemon juice into it along with some honey. Now, drink up this honey, lemon water. It would soothe your throat and decrease the amount of phlegm being produced in your body.
3. Extremely Potent Salt Water
You can also consider gargling with salt water since it treats phlegm satisfactorily and soothes your throat as well.
- Take hold of a glass of warm water and mix almost one quarter tea spoon of table salt in it. Now, use this solution to gargle your throat. This remedy should be embarked upon daily since it also helps to prevent infections owing to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
4. The Antiseptic Bacteria
Bacteria is known for its antiseptic properties and therefore the intake of turmeric would help kill all mucus producing bacteria.
- Take a glass of hot milk along with one tea spoon of turmeric in it. This step should be repeated twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening.
5. Germ Killing Ginger
Ginger is nature’s remedy for congestion and therefore it enables you to get rid of phlegm that constricts your throat, while at the same time propelling you to breathe easily.
- Cut a raw ginger into several thin slices. These slices ought to chewed and consumed daily. You can also consider adding ginger to your daily dishes.
6. Power Of Chicken Soup / Chicken Broth
Warm chicken soup moisturizes your respiratory tracts and in doing so enables you to get rid of any phlegm that might be constricting them.
- Some warm chicken soup should be consumed daily, almost twice or thrice. To reap maximum benefits from this soup you can also add ginger and garlic to it as well. Homemade chicken soup is preferred more in this regard as compared to canned soup, since the latter comes with many preservatives.
Another important factor that enables you to bid adieu to phlegm is to make sure that your body stays hydrated regularly.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. You may conjugate this water with other liquids that are nutritious. Since this water intake would lubricate you amply therefore your body wouldn’t need to rely upon mucous for lubrication and as a consequence, the production of phlegm would be reduced as well.
8. Extremely Effective Herbal Tea
Since phlegm congests your chest and constricts your throat, therefore it can pave way for a feeling of irritability. This irritation can subside by taking in a cup of warm herbal tea.
- You can try a wide array of herbal teas to provide you comfort and help you get rid of phlegm. Chamomile, lemon and ginger teas are just few of the choices available to you.
9. Massage with Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is also extremely beneficial in helping you get rid of constricting phlegm.
- Gently massage a little of this oil onto your neck and chest. It will relieve the accumulation of mucus and thus reduce the consequent feeling of irritability. This balm can soothe you perfectly if it is massaged properly onto the affected areas.
10. Things to Avoid
There are a number of home remedies to reduce the production of phlegm. However, at the same time there are certain eatables which should be avoided as well. Some of these food items are given below.
- Meals that are rich in oil and salt ought to be avoided. Butter, yoghurt and other such dairy products should also be given a wide berth for some time until your condition improves. Moreover, you also ought to say no to chocolates and other such products that deploy refined sugar in their manufacture. Last but not the least, alcohol beverages and carbonated drinks trigger your condition and make it severe so they are something which definitely has to be avoided at all costs.